At first I thought balance was all about symmetry, but after the video, I realised that not everything must be symmetrical, but the volume and the shape must be somewhat similar. And also, logos which are important can also balance out the other side, even if the other side has much more elements
I feel that the video was actually a little insightful and useful, insightful in a way that the life is actually about balance, balancing your work and your other activities. This concept can also be applied to my design for the building, like balancing the arrangement of things inside the cinema I am building and the aesthetic elements on the exterior must also be balanced.
I learnt that balance does not always have to mean that the objects must be symmetrical. Balance can also be the number of elements on the design as well as the saturation of the colour. This can help me to create a design that not necessarily be symmetrical and have different layouts and shapes to be in balance.
Balance makes objects more aesthetically appealing to viewers. While it doesn't have to be symmetrical, as long as both sides have equal importance it will appear BALANCED
Balance may not be necessary in design, as some of the best design are not symmetrical, for example, the new art museum in singapore is not symmetrical. Also, depending on the need, it can be symmetrical(balanced) or not.
I think that one way to make things look balanced is to have the same amount of focus on both sides of the panel. It is not only to make things symmetrical like having two squares on both panels. There can be different shapes and different sizes and both panels can still look balanced. The elements of both panels have to draw the same amount of focus.
I have not heard of the concept of balance before, but after i watched this video, i realised that it has a lot to do with looking good, or being aesthetically appealing. Also, this concept allows me to know that when i plan out the building, i should not make it overcrowded with shops on one side and empty on the other.
I learnt that not everything has to be the same to look balanced. The example given on the video was that if there are two rectangles side by side of the same size, if one rectangle is black and one rectangle is white, they would look balanced.This video has changed my perspective of balanced. Therefore I now know that things do not exactly have to be symmetrical or exactly the same to looked balanced.
I thought that in order to achieve balance, both sides have to be equal (ie symmetrical) I learnt that in order to achieve balance, there can be different elements on each side, so long as it looks pleasing to the eye, for example, decorative designs can balance out an area filled with text
This is something new to me because I originally thought that the principle of balance in design means equality. That means, that if one side of the design is black in colour, the other side of the design must also be black in colour to balance it out. However, after watching the video, I found out that in the principle of balance in design, it focuses mainly on the volume of elements on both sides of the design and also the importance of the elements on each side, such as having a logo on one side of the design can be balanced with text and boxes on the other side of the design as the logo stands out and is important.
Balance is to have equal elements on both sides. Take the example of on 2 pages, 1 side has 500 words and the other has 200 words and a picture. The image will look balance. Something not equal to the other elements on the other side can be put on one side and it can balance the other side. This will show the importance of the element, eg. a logo
Balance is definitely a principle that is very commonly used between artists and designers. It is not the first time I have heard about it (we talk a lot about it on stage work), but it is the first time I have seen a tutorial on it. I'll just summarize some parts about balance.
Balance basically means everything looks holistic. Nothing to the extreme. At first glance, it seems as if the only way to make it is to have two copies of something, making it symmetrical. However, that is definitely not the case, once we understand other things about how our eyes see things.
The video mentioned this, but one thing is focus. To make something focus, it is better to place it in the center of the screen. Of course, there are other ways to make something focus. The example of the duck is one thing. One way to make something focus, is through the usage of light. If something is brighter, it will naturally be looked at more often. Another way is through standing out.
How much impact the item makes, also makes a difference. If something is very important, normally one would want to place it in a place where there are no distractions.
That basically summarizes the whole video (in words).
The video taught me that symmetry in design is important as it would provide a balance to a design, making it look better. To balance the design, it does not necessarily have to be the same things, but just having alike objects can balance the design well.
I realized that it had been something I had always been doing and if I didn't do it, I would feel uncomfortable. But what I had been doing might be different from the one showed cause I still feel uncomfortable for some things he did even though he say it looks symmetrical, it doesn't look symmetrical for me. I learnt that symmetrical also meant equality but now I know that many factors affect the it like the importance of the object or the colour, etc.
short one: make random stuff that appeal to the eye on one side to counter balance the other stuff that dont really
long one: as I have many ideas, I shall explain one by one (YAY! --)
apply to first one: cant reallly. its already quite symmetrical. unless i made different sections different colors (RAINBOW!!!)
second one: i can stack multi-story apartments on top each other so it looks different but I have to counter balance it (I'm not making much sense am I? anyway this doesnt really make much sense). I can also make different sections of the building different colors, like that in Genting Highlands or have the exterior have a certain theme (rainbows, children, sports, oceans etc).
third one: same as first one. quite symmetrical, but now can edit more. hmm..can make the outside more colors, and/or put designs on the outside fitting a certain theme so it looks nice
forth one: cant.
museums: art museum: wow. erm. museums arent really a 'fun' place and neither do they have a 'fun' exterior, so i guess i cant really apply it. maths museum: maybe have random signs regarding mathematics (÷, ±, ⊄ etc) and maybe some color scheme (thought I don't think that'll work). music museum: just like the maths one, random music notes and instruments. and MAYBE a color scheme.
A design has to be balanced to be aesthetically appealing to the audience. It need not be symmetrical. A design will be balanced when side has the same importance, the same volume occupied or the same objects, etc.
Make my building appear more symmetrical and asthetically appealing?
ReplyDeleteAt first I thought balance was all about symmetry, but after the video, I realised that not everything must be symmetrical, but the volume and the shape must be somewhat similar. And also, logos which are important can also balance out the other side, even if the other side has much more elements
ReplyDeletebalance is the balancing of qualities on both sides of the screen/ building/ object so as to make it more aesthetically appealing to the viewer.
ReplyDeleteI feel that the video was actually a little insightful and useful, insightful in a way that the life is actually about balance, balancing your work and your other activities. This concept can also be applied to my design for the building, like balancing the arrangement of things inside the cinema I am building and the aesthetic elements on the exterior must also be balanced.
ReplyDeleteArthur
I learnt that balance does not always have to mean that the objects must be symmetrical. Balance can also be the number of elements on the design as well as the saturation of the colour. This can help me to create a design that not necessarily be symmetrical and have different layouts and shapes to be in balance.
ReplyDeleteBalance makes objects more aesthetically appealing to viewers. While it doesn't have to be symmetrical, as long as both sides have equal importance it will appear BALANCED
ReplyDeleteIZK
Balance is about making the volumes on each side the same, but logos can balance a lot of text etc.
ReplyDeleteBalance may not be necessary in design, as some of the best design are not symmetrical, for example, the new art museum in singapore is not symmetrical. Also, depending on the need, it can be symmetrical(balanced) or not.
ReplyDeleteI think that one way to make things look balanced is to have the same amount of focus on both sides of the panel. It is not only to make things symmetrical like having two squares on both panels. There can be different shapes and different sizes and both panels can still look balanced. The elements of both panels have to draw the same amount of focus.
ReplyDeleteI have not heard of the concept of balance before, but after i watched this video, i realised that it has a lot to do with looking good, or being aesthetically appealing. Also, this concept allows me to know that when i plan out the building, i should not make it overcrowded with shops on one side and empty on the other.
ReplyDeleteI learnt that not everything has to be the same to look balanced. The example given on the video was that if there are two rectangles side by side of the same size, if one rectangle is black and one rectangle is white, they would look balanced.This video has changed my perspective of balanced. Therefore I now know that things do not exactly have to be symmetrical or exactly the same to looked balanced.
ReplyDeleteI thought that in order to achieve balance, both sides have to be equal (ie symmetrical)
ReplyDeleteI learnt that in order to achieve balance, there can be different elements on each side, so long as it looks pleasing to the eye, for example, decorative designs can balance out an area filled with text
This is something new to me because I originally thought that the principle of balance in design means equality. That means, that if one side of the design is black in colour, the other side of the design must also be black in colour to balance it out. However, after watching the video, I found out that in the principle of balance in design, it focuses mainly on the volume of elements on both sides of the design and also the importance of the elements on each side, such as having a logo on one side of the design can be balanced with text and boxes on the other side of the design as the logo stands out and is important.
ReplyDeleteBalance is to have equal elements on both sides. Take the example of on 2 pages, 1 side has 500 words and the other has 200 words and a picture. The image will look balance. Something not equal to the other elements on the other side can be put on one side and it can balance the other side. This will show the importance of the element, eg. a logo
ReplyDeleteBalance is definitely a principle that is very commonly used between artists and designers. It is not the first time I have heard about it (we talk a lot about it on stage work), but it is the first time I have seen a tutorial on it. I'll just summarize some parts about balance.
ReplyDeleteBalance basically means everything looks holistic. Nothing to the extreme. At first glance, it seems as if the only way to make it is to have two copies of something, making it symmetrical. However, that is definitely not the case, once we understand other things about how our eyes see things.
The video mentioned this, but one thing is focus. To make something focus, it is better to place it in the center of the screen. Of course, there are other ways to make something focus. The example of the duck is one thing. One way to make something focus, is through the usage of light. If something is brighter, it will naturally be looked at more often. Another way is through standing out.
How much impact the item makes, also makes a difference. If something is very important, normally one would want to place it in a place where there are no distractions.
That basically summarizes the whole video (in words).
The video taught me that symmetry in design is important as it would provide a balance to a design, making it look better. To balance the design, it does not necessarily have to be the same things, but just having alike objects can balance the design well.
ReplyDeleteI realized that it had been something I had always been doing and if I didn't do it, I would feel uncomfortable. But what I had been doing might be different from the one showed cause I still feel uncomfortable for some things he did even though he say it looks symmetrical, it doesn't look symmetrical for me. I learnt that symmetrical also meant equality but now I know that many factors affect the it like the importance of the object or the colour, etc.
ReplyDeleteshort one: make random stuff that appeal to the eye on one side to counter balance the other stuff that dont really
ReplyDeletelong one: as I have many ideas, I shall explain one by one (YAY! --)
apply to first one: cant reallly. its already quite symmetrical. unless i made different sections different colors (RAINBOW!!!)
second one: i can stack multi-story apartments on top each other so it looks different but I have to counter balance it (I'm not making much sense am I? anyway this doesnt really make much sense). I can also make different sections of the building different colors, like that in Genting Highlands or have the exterior have a certain theme (rainbows, children, sports, oceans etc).
third one: same as first one. quite symmetrical, but now can edit more. hmm..can make the outside more colors, and/or put designs on the outside fitting a certain theme so it looks nice
forth one: cant.
museums:
art museum: wow. erm. museums arent really a 'fun' place and neither do they have a 'fun' exterior, so i guess i cant really apply it.
maths museum: maybe have random signs regarding mathematics (÷, ±, ⊄ etc) and maybe some color scheme (thought I don't think that'll work).
music museum: just like the maths one, random music notes and instruments. and MAYBE a color scheme.
A design has to be balanced to be aesthetically appealing to the audience. It need not be symmetrical. A design will be balanced when side has the same importance, the same volume occupied or the same objects, etc.
ReplyDeleteKimberly Ong